No.11 Pilots Get Statement Win Over No. 6 MVNU
MISHAWAKA – The Bethel University men’s basketball team ended a six-game losing streak against Mount Vernon Nazarene on Tuesday night, defeating the No. 6 Cougars 100-66 inside the Wiekamp Athletic Center. TreVion Crews led all scorers with 32 points and was bolstered by Keonte Jenkins’ 24 points, as the Pilots’ starting backcourt nearly matched MVNU’s total on the night, 56-66. Both tied for a game-high 7 rebounds in the romp.
- Score: Bethel def. Mt. Vernon Nazarene 100-66
- Records: Bethel (18-3, 6-3) | Mt. Vernon Nazarene (17-4, 5-4)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 11 | Mt. Vernon Nazarene – No. 6
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- TreVion Crews – 32 pts, 14-of-19 fg, 7 reb, 4 ast
- Keonte Jenkins – 24 pts, 7 reb, 3 stl
- Grant Gelon – 17 pts, 3 reb, 6-of-11 fg
- Maxwell Newman – 13 pts, 5 reb, 2 stl
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots reached at least 85 points for the 19th time this season and 100 points for the ninth time this season. They came into the night leading NAIA DII in total scoring.
- The Pilots have held a double-digit lead in 19 of 21 games this season. They led by as many as 35 points in the game.
- The Pilots are 6-2 this season against teams ranked or receiving votes in the NAIA DII Coaches’ Top 25 poll, including 3-2 against top ten teams. Six of their nine remaining games in the regular season also come against teams ranked or receiving votes.
- The Pilots used a 22-5 run ending the first half and opening the second half to extend their lead to 64-42 with 15:56 remaining to effectively put the game away.
- The Pilots forced the Cougars into 18 turnovers, while committing just 6 of their own.
- The Cougars had won the previous six matchups against the Pilots, after the Pilots had won 11 of the first 12 when MVNU joined the Crossroads League in 2011-12.
- The Pilots welcome No. 2 Indiana Wesleyan to the Wiekamp Athletic Center on Saturday at 3:00 pm.