Joens Shines as Illini Suffer Setback to Badgers
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – For the second-straight game senior Courtney Joens paced the Illinois women’s basketball team as the senior led a contingent of four Illini in double figures in a 73-64 setback to Wisconsin on Sunday (Feb. 2) in State Farm Center.
It was the annual Pack the House and Play for Kay Pink Game in State Farm Center with over 2,300 fans in attendance to cheer on the Illini (10-11, 1-9).
Joens turned in a game-high 16 points on 4-of-6 shooting from the field and a 7-of-8 mark from the free throw line, while also pulling down a team-high seven rebounds and tallying two steals. Joining her in double digits was redshirt-junior Petra Holešínská with 13 points, including a trio of three-pointers, and senior Brandi Beasley and freshman Jeanae Terry each with 10 points.
Also grabbing a team-high seven boards was freshman Kennedi Myles, with Terry notching six rebounds, while Beasley added three assists on the day.
The Illini started off strong with a 12-3 start, before ending the first quarter with a 14-12 lead. The Badgers (11-11, 3-8) then used a 25-11 second period to take a 37-25 advantage into the break. From there, UI fought to close the deficit to seven on multiple occasions – including a 52-45 score with just over two minutes left in the third after a Terry three-pointer, but the Badgers would stall the rally and go on for the 73-64 victory.
Illinois next hosts Ohio State on National Girls and Women in Sports Day on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 7 p.m. CT in State Farm Center.
- Illinois moves to 10-11 on the season and 1-9 in Big Ten play.
- For the fourth time this season the Illini had at least four players reach double figures in points, with the season-high of five players in double digits in points coming against Presbyterian on Nov. 30, 2019.
- Illinois outscored Wisconsin in 2nd chance opportunities, 13-7 after outrebounding the Badgers on the offensive side of the ball, 12-10.
- For the fourth time this season the Illini committed single digits turnovers after only turning the ball over nine times while forcing 15 badger turnovers and scoring 15 points off those miscues.
- Senior Courtney Joenscame off the bench to lead the Illini in scoring and rebounding with a season-high 16 points on 4-of-6 shooting from the field and a 7-of-8 mark from the free-throw line, while also pulling down seven rebounds.
- Joining Joens in double figures was redshirt-junior Petra Holesínksáwith 13 points and senior Brandi Beasley and freshman Jeanae Terry with 10 points each.
- Holesínksá sank three three-pointers to move her career total to 143 treys and take sole possession of sixth place all-time, and moving within six threes from tying Kyley Simmons for fifth place with 149 treys.
- Terry registered her third-career double-digit scoring outing, while also converting multiple three-pointers for the first time in her career.