Hoosiers Set School Record 24th Win; Get Past Rutgers In Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals
INDIANAPOLIS – Redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg led the way with 26 points and three others scored in double figures as No. 4 seed Indiana defeated No. 5 seed Rutgers, 78-60, in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals on Friday afternoon. The win set a new school record with 24 wins on the season.
- Patberg’s first 3-pointer of the night broke a 4-4 tie in the game with 6:47 to play. She would go on to score nine-straight points for Indiana midway through the quarter to push IU’s lead to as many as 10, 18-8, with just over two minutes left in the quarter.
- Rutgers (22-9), however, would the first on an 8-2 run to cut Indiana’s lead to just three, 20-17.
- A 9-2 run by the Hoosiers (24-7) early in the second quarter gave them another double-digit lead on a second-chance opportunity from senior forward Brenna Wise. IU featured three more double figure leads in the rest of the frame but a triple by Rutgers cut the halftime score to 38-30.
- The Scarlet Knights came out attacking in the third, coming within as few as six less than a minute in. But buckets from sophomore forward Aleksa Gulbe and Patberg pushed its lead back to 45-35. A big 3-pointer on a second chance opportunity from Wise and a fastbreak layup from junior guard Jaelynn Penn made it a 13-point IU edge.
- Fighting through a tough Rutgers’ press, the Hoosiers, who saw their lead come down to as few as eight in the fourth, were able to break it with a transition triple from Penn with 7:07 remaining. An and-1 opportunity once again brought it back down to single digits for Rutgers with 3:09 to go. But it would be their final field goal of the game as IU put its foot on the gas with five-straight points from Gulbe. The Riga, Latvia would come up big in the fourth quarter, scoring seven of her 15 points as Indiana took advantage of bonus shots down the stretch.
- Indiana improves to 24-7 on the season, breaking the program record for most wins in a single-season.
- The Hoosiers won their first game ever as the No. 4 seed in the Big Ten Tournament. The last time they were the No. 4 seed was in 1998.
- Patberg led the Indiana offense with 28 points and nine rebounds. This was her 14-consecutive game this season in double-figures, seventh game with 20 points or more and
- Gulbe tallied 15 points while grabbing seven rebounds.
- Penn ended the afternoon with 12 points, four rebounds, and an assist.
- Berger also hit double figures with 11 points. She also secured seven rebounds and dished out a team-high five assists.
- Indiana earned the advantage on the boards, outrebounding the Scarlet Knights, 38-33.
- With the victory the Hoosiers advance to the semifinal of the Big Ten Tournament for the first time since 2006.
The Hoosiers advance to the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament on Saturday when they face No. 1 seed Maryland. Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m. ET at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.