Purdue Hosts Rutgers in Senior Day Showdown
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue (16-14, 9-10) looks for one final postseason push when Rutgers (19-11, 10-9) visits Mackey Arena for a Senior Day showdown. Brandon Gaudin and Shon Morris will handle the broadcast on BTN, beginning at 2 p.m. ET. On the radio, Rob Blackman, Larry Clisby and Ralph Taylor will have the call courtside on the Purdue Radio Network and TuneIn.com, beginning with the Purdue Basketball Pregame Show at 1 p.m. ET. Live stats will be available on PurdueSports.com.
- Purdue owns a 12-2 series lead with Rutgers, but the Scarlet Knights ended an 11-game losing streak to the Boilermakers in the last meeting, a 70-63 victory in Piscataway on Jan. 28 (box score available later in packet).
- The Boilermakers are looking to make one final push to their possible sixth straight NCAA Tournament bid. Purdue has just as good a case as any other bubble team in America. Take a look at the resume:
… NCAA Net ranking of 32, KenPom of 22, ESPN BPI of 17.
… 15 of 30 games vs. quad-1 (22 of 30 vs. quad-1 and quad-2).
… 9 quad-1 and quad-2 wins (by contrast, bubble teams Stanford and Texas have 7; Rhode Island has 6; Utah State and Richmond have 4).
… Opponent average NET rank is 10th best in the country.
… 7 wins over likely NCAA Tournament teams (Rutgers would be No. 8).
… a 10-10 record in the toughest conference in America.
… 3 wins away from Mackey against teams ranked in the NET top 61.
… played six non-con games against NET’s top 61 (by contrast, bubble teams Texas and Indiana played 3; Miss. State and Utah State played 2; Stanford, N.C. State and Richmond played 1).
… 5 wins against nationally-ranked teams (fourth most in America).
- SOMETHING TO WATCH: Purdue is looking for one more big regular-season win in Mackey Arena. A win would give Purdue at least 12 wins at home for the 14th straight year.
- Purdue is 14-2 this year and 34-3 since the start of last year when shooting a higher field goal percentage than its opponent. The Boilermakers are 2-12 when shooting a lower field goal percentage than its opponent (wins vs. VCU and Iowa).
- Purdue has held its last two opponents (Indiana and Iowa) a combined 33 points and 274 percentage points under their pregame scoring average and field goal percentage averages.
Purdue freshmen and sophomores have combined for 1,210 points this year (40.3 PPG), accounting for 59.1 percent of Purdue’s scoring this year. In games that the two classes score at least 35 points, the Boilermakers are 14-8 overall. When they don’t, Purdue is 2-6.
• The magic number for Purdue is 45 percent. When the Boilermakers shoot at least 45.0 percent from the field, Purdue is 10-1. When holding foes under 45.0 percent, Purdue is 16-6.